5.09.2006

Fisticuffs

This morning when I was getting ready for work I heard some noisy children outside and didn't think much of it because there are always noisy children outside my apartment. An elementary school sits at the top of our block, and a lot of the kids walk to and from school. At three o'clock you'd better just stay off the sidewalk completely unless you want to get run over by children of all ages, postively rambunctious after being cooped up in school all day.

This morning, though, the noise from the kids didn't fade in the direction of the school, and I realized they were all in front of our building yelling about something. When I went to the window I saw two girls, probably no more than 7 years old, beating the shit out of each other while their friends watched. Both girls had their fingers embedded deep into the other's hair, and were taking turns taking punches to the head. They seemed WAY too young to be fighting, like seriously fighting. And the language! Whoa!

So what did I do? Well I couldn't just sit there and let these little kids wail on each other. That wouldn't be very responsible of me. So I yelled "Hey!" and it wasn't loud enough. So I screamed "HEEEEYYYYY! STOP FIGHTING! GO TO SCHOOL!" A few kids looked up and saw me in the window and eventually they separated the girls, but not before one of the girls who was fighting fell to the ground and got kicked by a boy. "That's your sister, you punk!" screamed another girl. You could tell they were all a little anxious because they got caught, and slowly they started walking to school, the two little girls still cussing each other out.

I broke up a fight, y'all! With my voice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those kids are crazy. I had to yell at two or three boys who were beating up on Jasmine. Now she may have started it but 3 against 1 is not fair who ever started it.
You need to practice your scary teacher yell. Erika and I can teach you. :)

Alex