11.16.2006

gurgle, sputter (alternately titled "linkin' blogs")

I just wrote a nice post linking to all sorts of blogs and websites that I adore, complete with fawning descriptions that would definitely make you want to go visit. Then I hit "publish" and I FUCKING HATE THE INTERNET SOMETIMES. Error screen. Blogger outage. WHATEVER, IT SUCKS. And I can't bring myself to rewrite in such loving detail because I have homework to do. Bah.

So, here ya go. Skeleton descriptions.

Pop Candy - I don't know why you aren't reading this everyday.

Ruined Music - everyone has a song or two forever ruined because of the history they represent. Here, people spill the reasons why, essay-style.

Snarkywood - Puh-LEAZ go check this out, and don't skip the archives. I wanna be a Snarker.

Cute Overload - if you need a smile on your face PRONTO.

Famous people have blogs too:
Rosie - I love "ask rosie" and looking at her candid pictures
Zach Braff - such great musical taste, so down to earth
Sasha Cohen - shut up and let me have my ice skating idol!

Awesome - a few funny ladies with good taste peruse the internet for great products. Cool, cute, retro, necessary, the gambit. There's a list of links that go to some great off-the-path web stores.
A few bloggers whose writing I love and who always crack my shit up:
City Wendy
Nothing but Bonfires
Mimi Smartypants
Amalah
Dad Gone Mad
The Random Muse

Go and enjoy. Sometimes it's hard to get into the blogs of people you don't know, and I must say that I've read most of the archives in the forty-something blogs I read daily and it really helps to enjoy them. But the ones that aren't personal blogs are easy to get into...especially Pop Candy and Snarkywood.
------------
A few issues not unrelated to the lack of substance on this blog - I agree with this thought of Cecily's: posting to your blog everyday seriously dilutes it. Usually you have a couple days where ideas roll around in your brain, and when you actually sit down to write it has more substance. Even before I started this challenge I kept thinking that I wasn't happy with the content on my blog. It's usually just a bunch of blabbing about nothing important. I remember when I used to write write, back when I used the word "like" because I was setting up a metaphor, and not because I was trying to convey my own ditsyness. I'm still unsure if I've got the right number of commas and I steadily ignore the rules about not ending a sentence with the word "of" and not starting a sentence with the word "and." I know I'm not trying to win any fuckin' contests with this blog, but every once in awhile I'd like to look at what I wrote and think "damn, that's good."

No comments: