11.18.2006

i have a confession to make

We put up the Christmas tree.

I'm disappointed in myself. Normally I'm vehemently opposed to putting up anything until after Thanksgiving. That's how it was in my house growing up. My dad didn't string up the outside lights until early December, and we didn't put the tree up until two weeks out. I thought that's how it should be.

Then I married someone who doesn't remember ever having a Christmas tree. After his mom died, his dad just couldn't bring himself to be the sole bearer of happy tidings. That breaks my Christmas Freak heart.

The lights and (fake) pine roping went up a week ago around the doorframes. The tree went up today. I managed to fit just about every new ornament I got from Crate & Barrel onto the tree, as well as some cute dollar store finds for good measure. I don't want the tree to get cocky.

I have another confession.

It's fake.

(At least it's 3-D this year. Last year it was a zig-zagged string of lights with some broken up pine branches tucked in everywhere. The ornaments were paper.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. I bought a 3-foot silver tinsel christmas tree and downloaded 800 christmas songs last week. I think it's related to the leaf sighting I had the other day. A lovely fall leaf on the ground in LA is hard to come by. I got inspired.
-a